100 Day Community Challenge Guernsey November 2019

100 Day Community Challenge Guernsey November 2019


We’ve been really pleased with our
projects progress of the last Hundred days and our sensory rooms are now
almost ready to go. The children have just experienced the opening of the soft
playroom. The money from the Co-op 100 days project has gone specifically into
refurbishment of the soft play area which will help the children in lots of
different ways. The project has been an absolutely massive undertaking. I think
the actual scale of redeveloping all the areas and working within the time frame
when the school is live, as well as during holiday time. The staff and the
pupils have been really understanding in that. The highlights of the last Hundred
days really as just seeing the children’s reactions when they
experience the rooms for the first time. They are just so excited, it’s absolutely
pure joy! We’ve been trying to work at the garden at the back of our church open to the public, it’s been quite a challenge so far! Obviously we started very enthusiastically and very well in the
first ten days or so but then, as we all know, the weather has been really poor in
the last couple of months and it really has limited our ability to actually
progress with the project. But obviously some things are out of our control and
the weather has got to be on that list. We’re still optimistic that we’ll be
able to complete the project in the new year, on the weekend of Mothering Sunday
and hopefully we’ll be able to have an afternoon tea out here in the garden. The project’s gone really well, we’ve found that actually this room is much bigger than we really thought it was once we started taking out things that
didn’t need to be in here and we’ve changed it into the an area that can be
much more utilized for different groups. The most challenging point about this
project was actually getting them dry enough to be able to paint the floor.
We painted one coat and then found that actually with the weather and the
conditions mainly where it was so damp. That we had for hire dehumidifiers and
spend a lot of time drying it before we could put a second coat on. So the last Hundred days
have really shown us how much people are willing to help the trust, with the
volunteers people have come to help paint, people have come just to give us
their ideas of what we should put in the room. In order to finish the project we
just need to build some shelves that come out into the middle of the room
that will have purpose-built lockers for all of the sails and it’s all going to
be built out of material that will stand up to the elements. Over the
last 100 days the children have come together regularly on a Thursday
afternoon and created the most brilliant ideas for our sculpture. The sessions
have involved the children spending time outside really getting to grips with the
idea and the space that we’re creating the sculpture and each week they’ve
developed techniques and design ideas to really inform the final piece. I would
say the most challenging element of this project for the children is to really
notice when they come up with a great idea and so what I’ve tried to do is
help them harness those ideas and see what potential they have. I think one of
the greatest sights is seeing how much fun the children are having so I would
say that’s been the highlight so far. Next term the children that have been
involved with this phase are going to share that information with the rest of
the school and that’s going to allow us to get everyone involved within the
school community to really make something very special. The three words I
would use to describe how I feel about the project are thankful, impactful, hopeful and proud.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *